Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Declaration

Music is “an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color”, as it is defined on Dictionary.com. An unknown author defines music as “what feelings sound like”. This explains my reason for choosing emotions expressed through music in the simplest way. As I signed up for this class, I knew from the start that I wanted to do something unique and challenging. I wanted people to doubt my ability to make a good concept folio with my topic. I tried to think of something that was important to me, so I decide upon music. Since music is really broad, I had to narrow it down. The first thing that came to my mind when I was brainstorming was emotions. Kurt Cobain once said “Thank you for the tragedy. I need it for my art”. This quote indicates that music is based on emotions and feelings. Music without emotions doesn’t exist. I personally relate to this a lot. There is not one day that I don’t listen to music. I listen to it on car rides, on the bus to school, and before I go to bed. I decide on what I want to listen to by how I’m feeling. If I feel happy and content, I’ll most likely listen to something like Cute Is What We Aim For, The Academy is or Hellogoodbye. When I'm in a thoughtful mood, I might be listening to The Scene Aesthetic. If I’m sad, depressed, or just not in a good mood, I will listen to something that goes into the direction of My Chemical Romance, Chiodos, or Vanna. So not only are the artists emotions represented in the music, but also the listeners. Besides listening to music, I also make music. I play the guitar and the keyboard, and I used to play the flute. This also helps me express my feelings, because I adjust the way and what I play to my mood. I express my emotions through my music. Besides making music, I also write lyrics, which is another great way of expressing my feelings. I can put all my thoughts and emotions in them. The ability to express oneself through it is what makes music so great, and is why I chose this topic.

No comments: